Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dos and Don'ts for traveling in Italy


When traveling in Italy there are a few things I will need to know to survive. I will convert my cash into Euros at Triple A or my bank before I leave USA. When I arrive in Europe, I will use the ATM because cash gets the lowest exchange rate. People do not tip anywhere, but most restaurants will charge a sitting fee of around two Euros; so I will eat fast and stand. When at a coffee shop though, no one sits. Everyone drinks their coffee super fast standing up at a bar like table. Basically anything breakfast/ coffee is in a rush and if not I will be charged. When ordering water I need to make sure to say "without gas or still" to receive what I conceive to be normal water. Italians do not separate bills at restaurants so I will combine my money with my friends, which is easier with Euros because there are so many coins.








The dress code in Italy is something I need to be aware of. Italians do not usually wear shorts or flip-flops so they might look at me funny if I dress in Florida attire. I should always bring a scarf or cardigan if I am visiting churches, museums or baptisteries because girls cant show their shoulders or wear shorts and I will be visiting a lot of churches. When I go to the Vatican in Rome they are super strict on dress code. I can’t show my knees as skin above because this is the hope of the current Pope and Roman Catholic Church. I need to watch out for the Somalia men (black men) selling fake goods on the side of the road because I can be fined for doing business; up to 1000 Euros. When I go shopping in the markets it is critical to always bargain! Florence is famous for its leather, especially leather jackets, leather purses and pashmina scarves. I shouldn’t pay more than 120 Euros for jackets, 60 Euros for purses and 9 Euros for scarves. It will rain sporadically so I will bring an umbrella everywhere and dress like an onion in lots of layers because the weather is really unpredictable. I will walk everywhere, so I just invested in a pair of double layer supported rainbow sandals that I will wear everywhere while burning off all the wine and pizza!


Traveling by train or bus is the easiest cheapest way to travel. When traveling by train or bus, there are little yellow boxes for validating my ticket. I must validate my ticket because you security will come through the train and bus to check your tickets and it is a fifty Euro fine. I need to be holding my belongings at all times and will probably just wear a fanny pack because gypsies and professional pocket pickers are everywhere! The cars, motorcycles and bikes will run over pedestrians, this is not America. Last thing is a lot of places close for Siesta, the late afternoon nap and break time planning my schedule accordingly will be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment